10.20.2009

The Joys of Phonetic Spelling

Banana, who is five, is on a Spelling Tear. This week, her favorite activity is writing down the thoughts that float through her little brain. This is especially fun because Banana talks like Elmer Fudd, which is reflected in her spelling choices. See if you can decipher this one:

I aim soow icksidiud dat my toof is loos.

The accompanying drawing on this precious piece of paper depicts a sleeping, smiling Banana with backward zzzzz's coming out of her mouth, and the Tooth Fairy, carrying a wand and some money - a 10 dollar, 50 dollar, and 15 dollar bill.

Dream away, Banana. The Toof Fairy ain't made of money.

Banana is my baby. This is the last time I will be able to delight in the Phonetic Spelling Phase, which has always given me inordinate amounts of joy. I'm sucking the marrow out of this bone.

No comments:

Post a Comment