10.18.2009

Pumpkin Farm Day!!!!!!!

Because I probably wanted to go as badly as the kids, I announced that today was Pumpkin Farm Day. There were no behavioral requirements.

Outings such as Pumpkin Farm Day are the places I get to sneak in my homeschooling, which I miss terribly, even though the kids don't.

I saw a real chicken lay a real egg. It looked dry from the get-go, which surprised me.

The kids had great fun letting the chickens peck their jacket zippers through the wire, at which point they yelled, "This chicken is pecking my zipper into a nub!" - a reference that will only make sense to a true Junie B. fan.

We chose our pumpkins from the pumpkin patch, went on a hayride, and fed cow treats to real cows - some of which had horns. Apparently lady cows can have horns, too, which I did not know.

I realize that the term "lady cows" is redundant. I'm using it anyway.

We also went through a Myrtle Maze. Apparently, some species of worm had destroyed their corn crop, and they got creative and planted Myrtle instead. I respect a person who can roll with adversity and come up with a creative alternative.

Tomorrow, it's back on the Hamster Wheel of school, homework, chores, activities, a sliver of Quality Family Time, and sleep.

Days like today feel to me like coming up for air.

2 comments:

  1. My friend Liza said that she knows that some parents can't wait for school to start, but she and the kids had SUCH a lovely time on their first school holiday (her oldest is in kindergarten this year). And she suspects that she will be a Holiday Mom, one who looks forward to days when the kids are off school. Sounds like you two are kindred souls :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can not tell you how thrilled I am to find your blog and "meet" you Miss Krysta.

    What a fun day with your kids, and seeing an egg come out... well, there just can't be much greater sights in this world. (snicker) I do understand that comment you made about days like this feel like coming up for air. I think I'm ready for one of those days. :)

    I was so blessed by your precious comment about the pit being deep, but God is deeper still. I just this morning wrote Psalm 40:2 on my hand because there are just times when you have to get a verse as close as possible and writing on your hand is the best option. I was struck by the last phrase that He sets our feet on a rock and gives us a firm place to stand. STAND. As opposed to crouching in the fetal position on a rock. I just can't wait to stand again.

    I hope I selected the right blog to comment on- if not, tell me which one so I can come back again soon!!

    Blessings,
    Sasha

    ReplyDelete