10.31.2009

Celebrating the End of Halloween Week

My friend Molly pointed out that Halloween used to be one day of dressing up and trick-or-treating. She says she's looking forward to the end of Halloween Week, when she can throw all the candy her kids have collected this week into the trash.

Amen, sister!

Something is seriously out of whack when we take an afternoon to reflect on all we're grateful for, offering up some generic Thanks in between bites of mashed potato; but we take a whole week to immerse ourselves in Dead Things and candy.

What if we took an afternoon for Halloween, and a whole week to meditate on all the good gifts we've been given? What if we took a week to deliberately offer our gratitude to the God of the universe, from whose hand all good gifts flow?

I'm as guilty as anyone of the imbalance. As a family, we don't do much for Thanksgiving, other than cooking rich food and making turkeys out of the outlines of our hands.

I'm always preaching to my kids about having an Attitude of Gratitude. Maybe if I practiced what I preached a little more, my kids would catch on.

Hmmm. . . .

4 comments:

  1. AMEN! I am amazed how the marketing has turned our eyes from what we have, and given new wants moment after moment, it feels like the more we have the more we want....everything that is made has something to go with it for an extra price...when I was young it was hard to understand that, but as I get older I realize how little holds me to this earth. Thanks Krysta! So blessed to have found you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so totally agree with you on this... plus it really annoys me that Thanksgiving gets lost in the shuffle of Christmas. It's such an amazing holiday!

    I'm so thankful I found ya!
    Sash

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your not goin' to find anyone who loves Christmas season more than this farm chick but I get annoyed when we bring in the Christmas bling before Halloween and Thanksgiving. It's just not in the order of things and I'm a type-A who thrives on order.

    Ya'll have a wonderful weekend chalked full of blessings!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the blog here. I am definitely keeping up on the comments here. I hope to see more from you in the near future.

    ReplyDelete